clean air, water and food are available to all?
What can you do to protect our planet and our health?
- Prioritize long-term human wellbeing and ecological stability in all decision-making.
- Prioritize wellbeing in all businesses, organizations, social and ecological goals.
- Keep fossil fuels in the ground. Stop new fossil fuel exploration and projects and implement policies on clean energy production and use.
- Stop fossil fuel subsidies. Re-invest fossil fuel subsidies in public health.
- Tax the polluters. Incentivize carbon reduction.
- Implement the WHO air quality guidelines.
- Electrify health care facilities with renewable energies.
- Reduce air pollution levels to reduce the burden of disease from stroke, heart disease, lung cancer, and both chronic and acute respiratory diseases, including asthma.
- Tax highly processed foods and beverages high in salt, sugars and unhealthy fats.
- Implement policies to reduce food wastage.
- Repurpose agriculture subsidies towards sustainable and healthy food production.
- Build cities with green spaces that promote physical activity and mental health.
- Take the pledge! Adopt WHO’s green manifesto.
- Tobacco pollutes the planet and our lungs. Create smoke free cities and tax tobacco.
- Devise policies on waste and plastic reduction.
- Integrate mental health and psychosocial support with climate action and policies to better prepare for and respond to the climate crisis.
- Work together with community leaders that include representatives of refugees and migrants on mitigation and adaptation measures of climate change and support initiatives led by refugee and migrant communities at local level.
- Switch off lights after working hours.
- Support teleworking when possible.
- Remove highly processed and packaged foods from the workplace.
- Reduce the greenhouse gas emissions of your activities.
- Protect, promote and support breastfeeding. Breastfeeding is healthy and sustainable food for babies.
- Ensure safe water is accessible for workers.
Health workers and health facilities:
- Support efforts to reduce health care waste.
- Provide sustainably grown local food and ensure healthy food choices by reducing sodas and highly processed and packaged food in health facilities.
- Decarbonize health facilities.
- Identify opportunities to save energy.
- Ensure safe clean water at health facilities.
- Support purchase of environmentally friendly products that are easily recyclable or reusable.
- Advocate for health to be at the centre of climate change policies
- Promote energy efficient buildings.
- Engage low-carbon public transport.
- Build new bike lanes and footpaths.
- Protect biodiversity and create new parks and gardens.
- Switch to renewable energy for municipal operations.
- Ensure low-income households and health care facilities have access to clean, affordable energy.
- Partner with the local business community to support sustainability.
- Regulate the marketing of unhealthy foods and beverages in public spaces.
- Share your story: our planet, our health.
- Raise your voice and demand climate actions to protect your health.
- Take action, inspire others” – join our five-point plan:
- Walk or pedal to work at least one day a week. Choose public transport.
- Change to a renewable energy provider; don’t heat your rooms over 21.5C; turn off the light when not in the room.
- Buy your fresh groceries from local producers and avoid highly processed foods and beverages.
- Tobacco is a killer and a polluter. Stop consuming tobacco.
- Buy less plastic; use recyclable grocery bags.